[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 00:05:13 UTC 2010

JOSM and Merkaartor are both wonderfull editors.

How I started on OpenStreetMap was when a volunteer sat down in person
over coffee and explained how OSM works.

MapQuest is a nice editor and map renderer.  Working with the
community means working outside of MapQuest.

We host mapping parties and learn from others for free.

Google owns theirdata and their editor and has a community of
volunteers who (willingly) work for free.  Google Owns the API

MapQuest does not own the API, nor controll the way the map is done.

I agree, using a spreadsheet with columns and data is most efficient.
.... thats how geonames.org works, and it's wonderfull.

Using a spreadsheet to keep track of edits excludes you from the
community, as it becomes a Job 'lets import canvec'

Your edits need to be part of the OSM community edits.... and not separate.

In Haiti, this was a big problem ....

There osm-alternates that DO fit you request. But these are not yet
available unfortunatly..