[Imports] 21M SimpleGEO CC0 POIs

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:17:14 BST 2011

Hi all,
CommonMap is your Read-only API which can host all datasets,
especially stuff like this.
It uses the same archicture as OSM, and even has it's own mapnik
rendering of the data.
CommonMap.org

For those intested in helping to inject data, so then it can be used
as this imports-only read-only database, please contact me.

BTW, all data injected, needs to be eithor cc0 ccBY or directly donated.

:)
cheers,
Sam Vekemans
CommonMap Enthusaiast Maximus.

On 8/10/11, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been poking through the data and wrote a quick JOSM plugin a while back
> when SimpleGeo's API was free to query the view's bbox and discovered that
> there's a LOT of places but quite a few of them are old or misplaced.
>
> Basically, it won't be very helpful to import wholesale, but since it has
> phone numbers and addresses it might be useful to use as an overlay in the
> editors to bring in extra information for existing OSM data. You could also
> bring it in piece-by-piece if you know the POI is there.
>
> Based on this, I'm thinking about putting all of the data into a simple
> read-only OSM API so that editors could query it as a secondary layer to
> help with editing.
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Jaime Crespo <jynus at jynus.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have searched on the mailing lists archives and on the wiki, but I
>> have not found if someone else has been already checking the quality,
>> accuracy and usefullness of these POIs, regarding OSM:
>>
>> <http://opengeodata.org/weekly-osm-summary-23>
>> <http://blog.simplegeo.com/2011/08/01/august-updates/>
>>
>> I have downloaded the file and I am currently looking at the data near my
>> area.
>>
>> --
>> Jaime Crespo

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn