[Imports] Proposal for proper OSM import solution (OpenMetaMap)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 25 16:49:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> How about "this /feature type/ in this /region/ will never have a
> community".

Great. Then this feature type will not be maintained and should not be
rotting away in OSM!

> It may also be "this feature type in this region/ already has a
> community, it is just not OpenStreetMap/.... but maybe we could could
> work together?".

Great. Then ways should be found to work together on the map creation
level - make a map that shows our data and their data. Do not try to
import their data into OSM.

> And don't neglect to check in on the community forming around the most
> import-heavy dataset of all: Google MapMaker.

Until now I haven't heart much good about that community but maybe a few
million $$ can really buy you one. Until we have those few million $$,
let's not try to synthesize communities out of thin air.

Bye
Frederik