[Imports] Proposal for proper OSM import solution (OpenMetaMap)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Aug 25 09:12:54 UTC 2011

On 08/24/2011 11:45 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Josh Doe wrote:
>> I don't intend to turn this into a debate, but please keep in mind
>> that there are differences of opinion as to what OSM "was meant for",
>> as acceptability of imports varies by region.
>
> As in "this region is never going to have a community anyway so we can
> import at will"?

That's so pessimistic.
How about "this /feature type/ in this /region/ will never have a
community".

It may also be "this feature type in this region/already has a
community, it is just not OpenStreetMap/.... but maybe we could could
work together?".

Examples of non-osm mapping communities:
http://www.firelookout.org/fflatowerhome.htm
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/2662<http://www.poi-factory.com/>
http://billboardmap.usc.edu/Services/Billboards/Default.aspx

And the rather awesome:
http://www.somervillecdc.org/communitymap/makingOf.php

And don't neglect to check in on the community forming around the most
import-heavy dataset of all: Google MapMaker.