[Imports] New module to merge-sort imports over time (osmfetch python)

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 26 01:21:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> I disagree here.  If the external source is "ground truth", then that's the
> data that should take precedence.  A car share operator for example won't
> want a disused location shown, and may well make that a requirement of
> permitting the merge-sort.  An import from a car share reservation system is
> definitive ground truth.

A car share operator, or anyone else can go in and mark a location as closed
or delete it but the operator isn't automatically considered more
authoratative than any other mapper.  For example let us say a fast-food
chain imports a database of their restaraunt locations and marks some of
them as wheelchair=yes but I go visit the location and feel it doesn't
qualify for that tag. The operators database can't complain ground truth or
authority over someone who has actually visited that location and an
automated script shouldn't 'undo' my change every month.

We can't accept imports with conditions like 'company XYZ gets to veto the
tagging or changes of there locations'.

Steve