[Imports] Bus data for Fairfax Connector, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sun Aug 28 16:14:46 UTC 2011

On 08/28/2011 06:34 AM, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> Op 28-08-11 06:24, Bryce Nesbitt schreef:
>> The name in the proposal is not a true bus stop name, but
>> a mashup of the street name.
> How are the stops generally identified then?
In the data supplied by Fairfax County, there is a primary key.
On the street the poles are simply stuck in the ground.
In the osm data we have a choice: even if the name field is blank the
icon will render just fine.  If tools can't deal with bus stops without
name then the tools need improvement.

(In bus operations it is typical that the only documentation for bus
stops is the actual pole in the ground.  The drivers look for the pole
when driving, and no electronic or even paper record exists of the bus
stop.  The agency itself has to survey the lines to build any sort of
database, and that database is highly subject to both survey error and
bit-rot over time.

Some regions have assigned unique stop IDs (for example the UK ad the
San Francisco Bay Area).  But for many operators it is just a sign by
the road... with no name and nobody to record it other than an eagle
eyed osm mapper with a stopwatch
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/public_transport#Map_Stops_with_a_Tracklog_and_a_Stopwatch>.

Quite probably the osm mapper could provide data /to/ such operators, in
_reverse of the usual import pattern._  Osm --> gtfs would be an
interesting experiment.

)