[Imports] New module to merge-sort imports over time (osmfetch python)

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:03:16 UTC 2011

On 27.08.2011, at 9:39, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

>>> Of course the person doing this merge should exercise due diligence.
>>> If their records show a store is closed, but OSM shows it as open, the
>>> person should call the store or somehow verify the information is
>>> correct and up to date.
>
> Based on this I'll added to the "diff" seen by the mapper.
> I can show the comments tag in the summary.  So the merge run might produce:
>

> Add    key 4: name="Big Chain"        (the tool won't discover that vanalHaxxer deleted store #4)
>

> So in the end is the tool considered harmful?

If someone deleted object from OSM, and you do next mirror how would you know whether object was not yet there (so you must add it) or is already deleted (must not add, even check your own data). Solutions:
- track OSM changes or get also deleted objects.  Not sure if possible.
- track your sync sessions, keep in memory that you have uploaded it once already.

Deletion here means any lost link: id tag removed or changed, duplicated etc. script should be able to find lost links and force to review all them manually.

Anyway, coming to the imports question (not dev), I'm not sure if OSM is really the place for specific businesses, which are not open for everyone so the data is useful for this service customers only. Perhaps just do mashup to your homepage. Mapnik will not render them for you anyway, and this is actually good for you : you probably want to show them as big interactive spots on map and not hardcoded to the base map. For the general community you are just "another big brand" here

Jaak