[Imports] Converting Fairfax County, Virginia government Shapefile of streets to OSM

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Dec 9 03:42:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 12/6/2011 6:56 AM, Josh Doe wrote:
>>
>> Do you (or anyone else) think there's value in doing the simplifying
>> during the conversion? And if so, to what distance tolerance?
>
>  It depends on the number of data points created by the export.  If there
> are too many data points, it complicates future edits that adjust geometry.
>  I normally use 1 meter simplify when bringing in TIGER data, but finer
> would still be a huge reduction in points for some cases.

Thanks, I think I'll suggest anyone that helps out with this to
simplify the ways themselves in JOSM using 0.5 to 1 meter.

I've got the converted OSM file in pretty good shape now, and have
split it into 138 files based on elementary school attendance
boundaries:
http://joshd.dev.openstreetmap.org/fairfax_county/streets/by_elementary_school/

I wasn't sure of the best way to split this into manageable chunks
that individuals (or perhaps just myself) can go through one at a time
to make sure OSM has all the streets and important attributes. Of
course we could also find errors in the government data, though the
chances of that are somewhat low considering this same data is used
for emergency services (at least topology and names, maybe not speed
limits).

I'd appreciate it if I could have some feedback on the conversion, or
if there's a better way to split the file (tiles?).

Thanks,
-Josh