[Imports] EC-JRC built-up areas (footprints; humanitarian action)

Mayeul KAUFFMANN mayeul.kauffmann at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Tue Jul 19 10:21:52 BST 2011

Hi,
Kate asked: "It allows mapping of the density of settlements?  Or can
you extra individual buildings as well?"
Answer is: "both". With 2 meter imagery, we got building footprint with
some imprecision in the footprint, so our result can be easily
generalized into landuse=residential (but we detect even small gardens).
With 50 cm imagery, with got quite precise footprint (and have to filter
out smaller object like cars, trucks...); but those images are more
costly...
In any cases, we have many metadata that we can further calibrate with
small ground truth to have a complete characterization of a given area.

We also work with humanitarian community and this contribution is
largely aimed at these users: in case of
emergency/earthquake/flood/fire... the rescue teams need to know where
the building are. We want to contribute to this on OSM.

Some links on our actions:
http://acpobservatory.jrc.ec.europa.eu/theme.php?theme=8
http://isferea.jrc.ec.europa.eu/Search/results.aspx?k=pdna
http://www.unitar.org/joining-forces-post-disaster-recovery-and-reconstruction-partnership-between-unosat-ec-and-world-ban

Regards,
Mayeul

--
Dr. Mayeul KAUFFMANN, Spatial Data Analyst
European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC)