[Imports] [Talk-us] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in the Portland area

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:27:14 GMT 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Emge <temge at esri.com> wrote:
> Serge,
>
> In the translation process all nodes are turned into points and no information is lost - if we are losing data then that would be considered a bug and please let us know if that occurs. I am not sure what is implied when you say "nodes with other data" - in this context what is "other data"?

A tag on a node that belongs to a way but is unrelated to that wya.

> In the current implementation the not "worthy" tags that would classify a node as a supporting point (and not a point feature in its own merit) are "created_by", "source", "attribution", and "note".

I'm more concerned about existing data than I am about new data. How
do you handle nodes that you're not the source of?

> Our concept of "layers" is then a user defined abstraction we are using to define symbology and type (pharmacy icon for tag amenity=pharmacy) and thematically group features. As of now we have a generic OSM abstraction but different communities are looking into creating their own like HOT, etc..

What about an object which serves more than one abstraction/role? Eg a
pharmacy which is also a sandwich shop?

> I would definitely like to have a chat with you about the challenges of importing data into OSM - are you at the SOTM in Denver?

I will probably be at SoTM in Denver.

- Serge