[Imports] [Talk-us] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in the Portland area

Thomas Emge temge at esri.com
Fri Mar 4 20:12:56 GMT 2011

> A tag on a node that belongs to a way but is unrelated to that wya.

That would be supported. What is common tagging convention for example for a relation having inner and outer ways? Are you tagging the inner, outer, and relation or only the relation itself? But in general it is yes, a bus stop can be a point on its own and be part of the bus route geometry.

> I'm more concerned about existing data than I am about new data. How do you handle nodes that you're not the source of?

Right now we error on the side of maintaining data integrity - we rather offer less editing capabilities than corrupting the data. I believe that we have nodes and ways covered. Relations are different (sometimes) - however existing relation integrity and references are still maintained.

> What about an object which serves more than one abstraction/role? Eg a pharmacy which is also a sandwich shop?

As the layers are currently defined it will show up as both. Think of the layer mainly as a rendering rule set similar to style set for mapnik (very rough analogy - I know). I am aware that situations of double tagging as in your example can lead to confusing visual states. The layers currently provided with the Esri tools were created with the intend of editing (not cartography).

See you in Denver,

- Thomas