[Imports] Importing Data from OpenTopography and EarthScope

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Wed May 4 10:08:13 BST 2011

Hello fellow OSMer,

I lead a small startup company from Germany that performs analyses of the
rooftop solar energy potential in cities. As a proof-of-concept project
we'll be using free data to perform our first solar analysis in America. The
study area consists of two neighborhoods in Hayward, California. Using data
derived from EarthScope LiDAR scans, hosted on OpenTopography.org, we will
(among other things) identify all the buildings that we use for our analysis
(somewhere between 1 and 2 thousand, if I remember correctly).

We'd like to donate these buildings to OSM. Naturally, the solar analysis
data is irrelevant, but I personally really like having buildings on the OSM
maps and since we'll be producing them anyway, I'd like to make them
available to the OSM community.

In summary, that means that my company (International Solar Information
Solutions) would contribute the building outlines to OSM with no licensing
requirements. These data would be derived from the EarthScope Data, obtained
from OpenTopography. My question here is: Both sources require
acknowledgement (it's just a sentence that should be included with the data,
you can find it here: http://www.opentopography.org/index.php/about/citing).
Can we donate this data to OSM, or would it be more trouble than it's worth?
Potentially, other city areas would be donated in the future; this is a
small scale project that should hopefully be followed by more larger-scale
things.

Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate your opinions/any hard answers that you
have.
Regards,
Daniel

--

B.Sc. Daniel Lee

Geschäftsführung für Forschung und Entwicklung

ISIS - International Solar Information Solutions

Deutschhausstr. 10

35037 Marburg

Festnetz: +49 6421 379 6256

Mobil: +49 176 6127 7269