[Imports] Bad listoflights import

Bernhard R. Fischer bf at abenteuerland.at
Fri May 6 08:54:56 BST 2011

On Friday 06 May 2011 06:02:23 Paul Norman wrote:
> I see that
> 1. xybot is still having to clean up

This bug (trailing spaces) was fixed several months ago and I am not sure why
xybot is editing those tags again. But of course I will check again what
happened.

> 2. The accuracy problems appear to still be present

Yes of course and I explained that very thoroughly.
Sea mapping is different from road mapping, in particular in respect to
seamarks. Sea marks carry a lot of attributes and the chance for a mapper to
make a mistake in setting wrong attributes is much higher than placing it to
an incorrect position. Thus, we feel confident to import nodes with less
accurate positions but highly accurate attributes which are vital to sea
charts.

> 3. This import touched the Philippines but I was unable to find any
> discussion on talk-ph@

I mailed to talk-ph, talk-ko, and talk-tw on 24th of April but the mails have
been queued somewhere to get approved by an administrator. Load is very low on
those lists.

> In accordance with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Handling_bad_imports
> I assumed good faith and tried to contact for the first time, but after
> the import was continued without fixing the problems I believe the best
> way to handle this would be to revert (i.e. delete) the nodes that have
> not been touched by a mapper other than listoflights or xybot.

Paul, Im sorry to say that but I feel that you simply just want to boycott
this project for whatever reason. We had a lot of email contact in the past, I
explained a lot of things very thoroughly, and of course I aim to make this
import as accurate as possible. We documented everything in the Wiki and we
don't feel to violate some rules.

Bernhard