[Imports] [Talk-ca] new goodies on OSM --> Canvec artifacts

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Nov 27 08:43:22 UTC 2011

> From: Frank Steggink [mailto:steggink at steggink.org]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] new goodies on OSM --> Canvec artifacts
>
> Due to the use of Natural Earth (?) as a base layer, certain artifacts
> from the Canvec import become more visible, especially at the lower (<=
> 7) zoomlevels. See for example the coastline issues in Atlantic Canada:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.31&lon=-63.13&zoom=7&layers=T .
> Perhaps unintentional, but this rendering can help us a lot cleaning up
> after certain imports. So, I hope this rendering won't be adjusted
> soon... :)

I sent a message to the user who appears to of done most of the uploads
there, asking if he wants to fix it, or leave it to someone else. It looks
like they were done over existing data (which may of just been the
coastlines) and not correctly tied into the coast.

As a plea to anyone considering CanVec imports near an ocean, reconsider.
These are *very* hard to get right and problems may not be obvious because
the coastlines do not re-render right away. Doing them right is also very
time-consuming because the CanVec tagging on the coast is wrong.