[Imports] [Talk-ca] new goodies on OSM --> Canvec artifacts

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 08:52:07 UTC 2011

LOL.....
Anyone interested in helping to upload source data to koordinates.com?
I can grant you access to the many Canadian Layers currently available.

cheers,
Sam :)

On 11/27/11, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
>> From: Frank Steggink [mailto:steggink at steggink.org]
>> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] new goodies on OSM --> Canvec artifacts
>>
>> Due to the use of Natural Earth (?) as a base layer, certain artifacts
>> from the Canvec import become more visible, especially at the lower (<=
>> 7) zoomlevels. See for example the coastline issues in Atlantic Canada:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.31&lon=-63.13&zoom=7&layers=T .
>> Perhaps unintentional, but this rendering can help us a lot cleaning up
>> after certain imports. So, I hope this rendering won't be adjusted
>> soon... :)
>>

> I sent a message to the user who appears to of done most of the uploads
> there, asking if he wants to fix it, or leave it to someone else. It looks
> like they were done over existing data (which may of just been the
> coastlines) and not correctly tied into the coast.
>
> As a plea to anyone considering CanVec imports near an ocean, reconsider.
> These are *very* hard to get right and problems may not be obvious because
> the coastlines do not re-render right away. Doing them right is also very
> time-consuming because the CanVec tagging on the coast is wrong.

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn