[Imports] tiff, dwg and nad83

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Apr 15 06:56:19 UTC 2012

> From: Frank Cox [mailto:theatre at melvilletheatre.com]
> Subject: Re: [Imports] tiff, dwg and nad83
>
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:59:49 -0700
> Paul Norman wrote:
>
> > I had a look at your town and given that it's a very small town and
> > the bing imagery is actually quite good, I don't know that it's worth
> > doing any sort of import. If you wanted street names you could get
> > them from CanVec[3]. Of course collecting street names also gives you
> > a chance to tag businesses, amenities, etc.
>
> I'm starting to get that impression.  I had hoped to discover an
> automated process to directly import the city's maps into the
> OpenStreetMap.
>
> Based on what I'm seeing so far, after getting official permission from
> the City Council to use the maps, copying the data from whatever they
> have it stored on at City Hall, installing whatever I need to use that
> data with OpenStreetmap, and I'll end up tracing it anyway.  The utility
> to be gained approaches nil in a hurry.  If I've gotta trace it anyway,
> I might as well trace what's already available and I don't even have to
> get out of my chair.
>
> As far as street names, businesses and whatnot, I've lived here long
> enough that I know what they are anyway, so I think that all I'll need
> to accomplish my goal would be the bing image and a few hours to play
> around with the map editor.
>
> Sigh.  An automated process would be so much more accurate, less error-
> prone, and generally easier and faster.

Not really. I've explored lots of government geodata and its hit and miss.
In BC the CanVec road data is decent for completeness but not classification
but the streams data is ancient and the buildings data does not seem to
resemble what's on the ground in the slightest.

In any case you should be able to get pretty much equivalent to the city
data from CanVec which has the tricky parts of converting to OSM data
already done