[Imports] tiff, dwg and nad83

Michael Krämer ohrosm at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 15 09:17:08 UTC 2012

>> From: Frank Cox [mailto:theatre at melvilletheatre.com] Sigh.  An
>> automated process would be so much more accurate, less error-
>> prone, and generally easier and faster.

Well, one of the rather laborious part of an import is to merge the
imported data with what has already been there before. This is a manual
process anyway as it requires some human judgement (keep, delete, merge,
or whatever).

Am 15.04.2012 08:56, schrieb Paul Norman:
> Not really. I've explored lots of government geodata and its hit and
> miss. In BC the CanVec road data is decent for completeness but not
> classification but the streams data is ancient and the buildings data
> does not seem to resemble what's on the ground in the slightest.
>
> In any case you should be able to get pretty much equivalent to the
> city data from CanVec which has the tricky parts of converting to
> OSM data already done

If you want to have a look at the CanVec data, the file you need to
download is this one: http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/062/L/062L15.zip

Within the archive the files 062L15.1.2.osm and 062L15.1.3.osm seem to
cover Melville itself. So I would start by one of those and load it into
JOSM. I just had a look myself and I think that's a pretty good starting
point which should be faster than tracing.

What you would have to do then is probably to check the tagging with
your local knowledge, remove anything not useful/inaccurate/whatever and
do the merging.

Michael