[Imports] Joining/merging address attributes to existing footprints

Joe Larson joe at joelarson.com
Mon Apr 23 23:07:21 UTC 2012

Hello wonderful list! Me (OSM userid: j03lar50n) and some other folks are making a strong push to digitize building footprints in our County, San Luis Obispo in California, U.S.A. - see relation here, if curious: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/396496

What I am now looking at is a workflow to "join" or merge attributes from an existing Address Points layer that is in Esri format(s). What I wanted to talk about here was my proposed mapping from the Esri point file to OSM attributes and also the actual workflow.

I think I will list it like:
[Source attribute -> OSM attribute]

ADDRESS -> addr:housenumber
PREFIX -> addr:street:prefix
NAME -> addr:street:name
TYPE -> addr:street:type
SUFFIX -> addr:street:suffix
UNIT -> addr:street:suffix
FULLNAME -> addr:full
ZIP -> addr:postcode

*I borrowed some of my ideas on this mapping below from iandees. It would have been much uglier before his mention of a similar effort*

<tag k="building" v="yes" />
<tag k="addr:street:prefix" v="South" />
<tag k="addr:street:name" v="Central Park" />
<tag k="addr:street:type" v="Avenue" />
<tag k="building:levels" v="2" />
<tag k="chicago:building_id" v="403823" />
<tag k="addr:housenumber" v="2807" />
<tag k="addr:street" v="South Central Park Avenue" />

I was thinking that the UNIQUE_ID attribute in my original data would now be unnecessary to "merge" to OSM, since each building-footprint would have a Way ID - *AND* we were not using that identifier with any current/historic data, so not lost ties/connections with changing unique id.

The "join" or merge: I'm still open to workflow suggestions but I might use the ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap for this process. This will require Adding/Changing Feature Properties http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Add%2fChange%20Feature%20Properties&referringTitle=Change%20OSM%20Editing%20Options so I can do a Spatial Join of Address Points that touch building-footprints and transfer their attributes to the appropriate OSM attribute parallel. I wonder if this can be done easier with ogr2osm.py and JOSM however…

Looking for thoughts, advice, etc. - I appreciate your time _ joe