[Imports] Joining/merging address attributes to existing footprints

Steve Singer steve at ssinger.info
Mon Apr 23 23:37:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Joe Larson wrote:

> Hello wonderful list! Me (OSM userid: j03lar50n) and some other folks are
> making a strong push to digitize building footprints in our County, San Luis
> Obispo in California, U.S.A. - see relation here, if
> curious: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/396496

You have not told us where this address data is from, how accurate it is or
how it  is licensed.

<snip>

> I was thinking that the UNIQUE_ID attribute in my original data would now be
> unnecessary to "merge" to OSM, since each building-footprint would have a
> Way ID - *AND* we were not using that identifier with any current/historic
> data, so not lost ties/connections with changing unique id.
>

> The "join" or merge: I'm still open to workflow suggestions but I might use
> the ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap for this process. This will require
> Adding/Changing FeatureProperties http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Add%2fChange%20
> Feature%20Properties&referringTitle=Change%20OSM%20Editing%20Options so I
> can do a Spatial Join of Address Points that touch building-footprints and
> transfer their attributes to the appropriate OSM attribute parallel. I
> wonder if this can be done easier with ogr2osm.py and JOSM however…
>
> Looking for thoughts, advice, etc. - I appreciate your time _ joe

Is your plan to come up with an automated method of detecting if the address
point touches an existing building, or was your plan to manually inspect
each address point and attach it to the building.

Automated matching imports are hard and generally discouraged by the
community.  Either way you would need to make sure that you don't add
addresses to buildings that already have address information.

One option might be to turn your address points into a background tile
layer.  Then when mappers trace the building outlines they can just add in
the address for the building they are tracing at the same time.

Steve