[Imports] Making the current guidelines/code of conduct about imports/automated|mechanical edits clearer and merged

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 24 10:50:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 12/24/2012 12:44 AM, Jeff Meyer wrote:
> - What does the separate account enable that cannot be (or should not)
> accomplished via other means (e.g. changeset tags)?

I think I said this a while ago on this list: In an ideal world with
good tools and optimized flows of information, the separate account
would not add anything. It might not be required in the long run.

In our current environment however it does add a lot; for example, when
I look at the history of an individual object, I see the accounts that
have touched it but not the changeset tags associated with each historic
version, making it impossible to distinguish between automated and
non-automated.

However it would be useless to have a policy that is based on some
technically possible potential future state of things; therefore the
separate account is part of the policy today.

What one could do is have a periodic review - e.g. once a year we check
whether the separate account still adds value and ditch the rule if not.

Bye
Frederik