[Imports] Making the current guidelines/code of conduct about imports/automated|mechanical edits clearer and merged

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Mon Dec 24 14:58:14 UTC 2012

Again, it seems there needs to be a clearer definition of "import," as not
all imports are automated. If individuals are reviewing small chunks of
data at a time as part of a particular import process, and the import is
not automated, should there still be a separate account?

Why do we require changeset tags, as well, then? Just for tracking the
source of the information, which won't be available as part of the object's
history?

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 12/24/2012 12:44 AM, Jeff Meyer wrote:
>
>> - What does the separate account enable that cannot be (or should not)
>> accomplished via other means (e.g. changeset tags)?
>>

> I think I said this a while ago on this list: In an ideal world with good
> tools and optimized flows of information, the separate account would not
> add anything. It might not be required in the long run.
>
> In our current environment however it does add a lot; for example, when I
> look at the history of an individual object, I see the accounts that have
> touched it but not the changeset tags associated with each historic
> version, making it impossible to distinguish between automated and
> non-automated.
>
> However it would be useless to have a policy that is based on some
> technically possible potential future state of things; therefore the
> separate account is part of the policy today.
>
> What one could do is have a periodic review - e.g. once a year we check
> whether the separate account still adds value and ditch the rule if not.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --

Jeff Meyer