[Imports] Austin, TX building footprint import

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Mar 5 18:45:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Tom MacWright <tom at macwright.org> wrote:
> My first idea is to bring in subsets into JOSM, vet them there, and upload
> that way. Is there a more approved solution? The edits would also be under a
> separate user, like 'city_austin_import'.

That's my preferred approach. I don't like leaving the database in a
likely invalid state. Better to have missing data for a while than bad
data.

> Anyone working in that area or looking at the same data?

I'm not, but could you document this on the wiki before doing any
actual uploading? Include a link to the datasource, the
ogr2osm/shp-to-osm/etc translation file, license details (in general
city-produced data is not in the "Public Domain", but they may state
something to that effect), and update your status as you go. I'd link
to it from at least these two spots:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Austin

On a somewhat related note, I really need to get my conflation plugin
working for this kind of work flow. If you get a chance, check it out
and let me know what would make the plugin usable:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/Conflation

-Josh