[Imports] [Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:43:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> > From: Paul Johnson [mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org]
> > Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports
> >
> > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> > > See
> > > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2012-April/008032.htm
> > > l for the full discussion around the removal
> > >
> > > In summary:
> > > - The Fresno import has a number of issues
> > > - No one is opposed to removal if there are no easier options for
> > > cleaning up the data
> > > - No one has proposed an easier option
> > >
> > > Given this, does anyone object if I go ahead with the proposed
> > > deletion of unmodified objects from the imports, attempting to
> > > preserve areas like schools and fix them if possible.
> >
> > More information isn't necessarily bad; I think it might be better to
> > try to refine the imported data over time if possible.
>
> To clean up http://maps.paulnorman.ca/imports/review/fresno.png I would
> start by deleting most of the data.
>
> A couple of users, one local, have commented that the issues with the
> import
> make it difficult to edit in the area. I really can't see a way short of
> deleting it.

Do those individual polygons have any useful information on them
(addresses, for example)? If so, we should generate addr points from their
centroids.

Either way, we could save useful OSM information by creating a new polygon
from the outside edges of each block. basically, remove all overlapping
nodes except the ones on the outside. This way we maintain (semi-)useful
landuse information and remove the extremely noisy tax plat information
that's there already.