[Imports] [Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri May 4 18:48:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> Do those individual polygons have any useful information on them (addresses,
> for example)? If so, we should generate addr points from their centroids.

Why?  We have these new things called computers that find centroids
really well.  And the way it's mapped now, it makes it really easy to
change a specific lot if the land use changes.

> Either way, we could save useful OSM information by creating a new polygon
> from the outside edges of each block. basically, remove all overlapping
> nodes except the ones on the outside. This way we maintain (semi-)useful
> landuse information and remove the extremely noisy tax plat information
> that's there already.

Sure, it's noisy, but it's not like we don't have tools to squelch
what's not interesting for a specific use case or edit session.