[Imports] Import of UNICEF health facilities data for Central African Republic

Séverin MENARD severin.menard at hotosm.org
Mon Apr 22 13:54:08 UTC 2013

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your answer. My comments inline

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> A few comments for the proposed UNICEF import****
>
> ** **
>
> **-          **I’d suggest import=yes on the changeset instead of
> type=import

Done

> ****
>
> **-          **school:cycle is undocumented and doesn’t have an obvious
> meaning.

I agree it is not documented. Thing is the original data just
states whether the school has all the education cycles or not, so if it
hosts all the pupil ages or not. It is a useful information, even if not
precise. Seems there is nothing already existing among the OSM tagging for
this situation. Do you have a better tagging proposition, that cannot be
more precise that complete/incomplete?

> ****
>
> **-          **man_made=borehole is undocumented and virtually unused. Is
> there nothing better suited?

I will use Brian's suggestion, that is the result of a discussion between
the HOT team deployed in Cap-Haitien :
Agree on most bore_holes being wells. Consider adding pump=no for
traditional wells too.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:pump

I would not add amenity=drinking_water to every feature. But use
amenity=drinking_water to "Reseau moderne" instead of
man_made=water_supply. If the other features are for drinking then add
drinking_water=yes, to avoid using two main tags.

> ****
>
> **-          **Our tagging scheme for health facilities is a mess. The
> import tagging for health_facility:*=* looks as reasonable as possible
> given this.****
>
> ** **
>
> The WRI data is more complicated, and you might want to consider doing the
> UNICEF import before it.

Definitely. The data is generally too inaccurate to be imported (eg
300-1000m for the roads from the reality provided by the high res Bing
imagery), but can be used as a guide for tracing