[Imports] RTD Denver GIS data

Derek Kniffin derek.kniffin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 23:35:30 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this list (I signed up less than a few minutes
ago), so I'm sorry if I'm ignorant of anything pertaining to the list
and/or imports in general. I am fairly experienced with many things OSM;
I've been editing for 6 months or so, and I've created a couple
applications using OSM data, so I'm not a complete noob. However, I've
never been involved in any imports. I also apologize for the length of
this email; I wanted to make sure all the details are here.

I would like to import the GIS data found at the link at the bottom of
this page: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/SystemMap/

RTD is the company that runs the public transportation system for all of
metro Denver. This includes buses and light rails. I have already
contacted RTD about using the data in OSM (copyrights, etc), and I'm
waiting to hear a response. In the meantime, I was hoping to discuss the
technical details of the import.

I've already downloaded their GIS data to take a look at it. It's
divided into several different data sets, of which I'm interested in
importing: bus stops, bus routes, light rail lines, light rail stations,
call-n-rides, and park-n-rides. I'm planning on following the public
transportation schema
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport). That means that
there will be a relation for each bus route, and possibly relation for
each stop (with a platform and stop_area), and similarly for light rails.

What I'm wondering about is the technical aspect of tweaking the import
data. Looking at the data, I think the way they organize each route is
they have a way at the beginning with the route information. Then they
have a bunch more ways that usually (but not always) connect to make the
rest of the route. (eg: A----B-----C-----D; way A has the route
information, the rest don't). Sometimes, the ways do not connect, but
the endpoints are within a foot of each other.

The stops should be fairly easy. Each stop has an attribute mapping what
route it goes with.

Obviously, I'll also somehow have to deal with conflation. Not sure how
yet...

Another thing I'd like to consider is future route changes. RTD changes
their routes 2-3 times per year, and sends out announcements detailing
the changes. Sometimes the changes are just schedule changes, which
would not change anything in OSM; other times they include topology
changes, additional routes, removal of routes, additional stops, etc.
I'd like to come up with a process to import those future changes, so
that OSM stays up to date with RTD data.

Any hints/tips/comments on anything I've said here would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
--Derek K