[Imports] Belgium address import

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 03:20:00 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Randal Hale
<rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
> I agree having a map of an area is a good thing if provided an address. It
> just seems like there's been too much worry over tying it to a building or a
> front door. I would (this is just me) want to tie it to the street - that
> way if the street changes there's some process of having that address node
> change.

How would we represent this in OSM? A node on a street with addr:streetnumber?

That might work some places, but it's far from ideal.

First, it's not going to be as universal as you might want, and we
already have a proliferation of address schemes in OSM. I can think of
five schemes already, and thatr's without consulting the wiki. A new
one would really have to add something that we don't have in any of
the existing schemes.

You make a point about street names being significant, at least in the
US, but...

Presumably, you want this for reasons of routing, ie "The closest
entrance is the one on the street"- but where I live it doesn't hold
true for a lot of addresses. It's very common to find an address on
one street but the entrance is on another.

Or you might have multiple locations with the same address. My
building has 6 separate entrances, all with the same address.

- Serge