[Imports] Import of public transport platforms in Styria (Austria)

Andreas Uller a.uller at gmx.at
Thu Nov 28 03:09:33 UTC 2013

Dear List,

We have received the position of all public transport platforms in the Austrian province of Styria from the company responsible for managing public transport ("Steirische Verkehrsverbund GmbH").

I have put together all information on the following page in the wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Austria/Import_Haltestellen_Steiermark (with all relevant information in German and English).

A short outline of the plan:
All positions where no platform in a certain area (e.g. 100 m) around the available points are present in OSM, would be imported directly into OSM, probably using JOSM. All others will have to checked and merged manually. This has already been successfully done with an import of all doctors in Styria.

A downside of the data provided is, that there are some platforms included which are no longer used (they were used during a detour of a route or the route has been dismissed). However, most of this disused platforms will be in the capital city of Graz, where I and other users know, which stops are the ones disused, so they can be excluded during the manual import (all platforms in Graz should already be mapped, so this area can be excluded from an automated import). In the end, there will probably only be a handful of disused platforms in the end. On the long run, all bus routes should be mapped; then it will be easy to find unused platforms.

Also included on the wiki page is a suggestion on how to use the provided attributes and turn them into OSM-key/value pairs.
Here, a point is unclear to me: There are varoius IDs provided, one is a "global, unique" ID for each platform (Europe-wide normed "IFOPT" number). Should this be imported to OSM (as ref=* or something different?) in case we later receive open timetable or realtime data which needs to be connected to the stops? Or are there other ways to match timetable data to platforms? These IDs are not visible to anyone standing at the bus stop and I have not yet encountered them anywhere else than in that file - from what I've read so far this is a strong reason not to include them. However, I want to be sure we don't need them later.

Any feedback is welcome.

Andreas