[Imports] NYC building + address import - to merge or not to merge?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 21:25:53 UTC 2013

2013/10/14 Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com>

> (This is BCC to tagging at osm.org, conversation to happen on
> imports at openstreetmap.org.)
>
> At the NYC building and address import we're facing the following question:
>
> **In cases where there is one address point per building, should we merge
> the address information onto the building polygon and toss the address
> point?**
>
> Originally the answer was: yes.
>
> Now there's reason to revisit this decision: the data steward (Colin
> Reilly from NYC GIS) told me that NYC GIS took great care to place
> addresses at about where the entrance of the building sits.

I'd still merge the address from a point to a polygon if you are sure that
the address applies to the whole polygon. Entrances are mapped with a
different tag in OSM: entrance=main/yes etc.
If you are sure that your nodes are precise in respect to the building
polygons (e.g. an entrance in the geometric center of the facade is still
there in the osm polygon)  it might be worth considerating adding these
entrance nodes to the polygons. IMHO it is more important to have relative
accuracy (relations like the center / the corner / one third, etc. are
kept) than absolute precision (i.e. coordinates).

cheers,
Martin