[Imports] NYC building + address import - to merge or not to merge?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 10:05:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:
>
>> case for sticking to that convention.
>
> Taginfo tells us that we have 15.3 millions addr:housenumber's on
> nodes vs 9.7 millions on ways.

As has already been brought up, this is a very tricky number to
actually get, because to do so, you would have to say that you know
for sure that these nodes:

1. Are contained within a known building polygon
2. Do not represent some other information, such a store information

To elaborate on #2, I typically put full address information stores,
and here in NYC, a building often contains more than one store, so you
will find one building polygon with more than one node within that
polygon containing address information- sometimes even the same
address information.

 - Serge