[Imports] "fleet manager" speed limit import proposal (Canada, USA)

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Apr 3 15:50:39 UTC 2014

On 4/3/2014 10:32 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
> The data provides osm way id: 42850355, and speed limit: 50
>
> What is it this data?:
> The drivers and fleet manager report a posted speed limit where:
> - the posted speed limit does not match the maxspeed in OpenStreetMap data.
> - the posted speed limit does not match their presumption of the speed
> limit based on OpenStreetMap data.  (I think they presume a speed
> limit based on highway=* or other tags where there is no maxspeed=
> tag.  )

Ordinarily, my method of collecting data for speed limits is either as a
passenger with GPS+camera or Video+GPS.   The road is generally split
where the speed limit changes, so in OSM terms, I would think that we
would expect an absolute worst case of 10 meters to identify where a
speed limit changes.    I would be surprised if their reports would have
this level of detail and accuracy.

   But the data would be useful to catch the case of their reported
speed mismatching a long stretch of road in OSM.