[Imports] Portland, OR building and address import

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Wed Dec 3 19:43:33 UTC 2014

PDX-OSGEO is pleased to announce our intent to import the Portland, Oregon area building footprints and addresses into OpenStreetMap.

Following the Import Guidelines, we believe our next step is to contact this list. We have previously forward our plan to the imports-us list, and discussed it in a BoF at the SoTM.us in Washington, DC.

We’re looking forward to beginning the import soon, pending feedback.

I’ll be speaking at the RLIS Subscriber meeting on December 10th, and would love to be able to give everyone a firm timeline so we can recruit volunteers for our training sessions (probably beginning after the new year).

The detailed proposal is here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Portland,_OR_Bldg_import, and you can find the code to prepare the data for import here: https://github.com/pdxosgeo/pdxbldgimport .

You can read prior discussion on the imports-us list here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports-us/2014-November/thread.html

The major component left to do is to write contributor instructions.

Brief Summary

Data are provided by Metro, the Portland regional planning authority. These Metro (RLIS) datasets are made available under ODbL, see:

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/sites/default/files/Open_Database_and_Content_Licenses.pdf.

Moreover, one of the reasons why Metro staff chose this license was to help make it compatible with OSM imports and to continue building a well-established relationship with OpenStreetMap.

Most buildings footprints are LIDAR derived, and of extremely high quality.

The datasets:

- Building Footprints:

http://rlisdiscovery.oregonmetro.gov/?action=viewDetail&layerID=2406

- Address points:

http://rlisdiscovery.oregonmetro.gov/?action=viewDetail&layerID=656

While PDX-OSGEO is organizing the import, it is a joint effort of PDXOSGEO, MaptimePDX, City of Portland staff, Metro GIS staff, and other local OSM contributors.

Your feedback is welcome and encouraged!

Darrell