[Imports] Community import of Flemish addresses, take 2

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 12:44:29 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Last year, there was already an attempt to import addresses from the
Agiv[1] CRAB[2] database into OSM. But it got stuck on some problems.

So I decided to work out a completely new approach, make tools for it, and
document it.

All documentation about it can be found on the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AGIV_CRAB_Import and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/Using_AGIV_Crab_data

I can't make it clear enough that this will be a slow, community import.
Where we allow mappers to get data from Agiv in a convenient format for
editing, but where local mappers are the final judge on how to map it in
OSM.

The mapping process is made so that updating data is easy to do. This was a
neccesary step, since data changes continuously (about 1000 address
modifications per month).

But all info should be in the documentation, and I hope there are no
problems with it.

Regards,
Sander

[1]: Agiv: Agency for Geographical Information, Flanders
[2]: CRAB: Central Register of Address Files