[Imports] Import of addresses in Poland

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 4 19:35:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 04.02.2014 17:40, Zbigniew Czernik wrote:
> I think it's pointless to send information about the import of addresses
> in each municipality as a separate post. I think it's a good idea to
> create a thread where I will put the information about the planned imports.

I think we should maybe have a more fundamental discussion about these
imports.

As you probably know, OSM doesn't value data over community. Where
imports are concerned, we usually look at whether there's a local
community to "digest" the data that has been imported, to fix it where
it's wrong, to update it in the future.

Importing data "instead" of having a community is not something we
normally do ("there's nobody there to map anything anyway so in order to
make the map more useful let's at least import data").

This is also the reason we prefer "community imports" where perhaps one
person or a small group of people prepares data for import, but the
actual import is done by people local to the area, who know the place
and know what they're doing.

What I'm seeing here is one single person importing huge amounts of data
for one city after the next, all over Poland.

Have *you* cross-checked that data? Have you even *been* to the places
you are importing data for? Or, if that's not the case, is there a local
community in the places you are importing data for - someone who says
"dear Zbigniew, could you import this data for me so that I can do a
better job of mapping in my city"?

If this is not the case, then I think you should stop importing data.
Has this been discussed in the Polish community?

Bye
Frederik