[Imports] CzechAddress Import

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 13:02:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Dalibor Jelínek <jelinek at jelenet.cz> wrote:

> We have added in to here
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_adres_z_RUIAN#Background
>
> However these are Czech laws without English translation.
>

>> > Is it in the metadata? I did not see a link to the original data
>
>> > (only a search form), so it was hard to examine myself.
>

> We have added a link to sample XML file from RUIAN VDP
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_adres_z_RUIAN#Background
>

>> > 2. Looking at the sample osm file you provided, I have a set of
>> > questions:
>
>> > a) I'm not familiar with addr:suburb. I see the wiki entry, but can
>
>> > you elaborate on this more, and why it's needed here?
>
> addr:suburb is a larger administrative division of a city, it contains
> several city quaters and it is used very often in reffering to a general
> directions in a city.
>
> We will create a wiki page for it later.

If you want is as part of the import, it should be discussed during,
not after the import.

> The vast majority of OSM users here have never heard of boundary relation.
> If we want to convince them that OSM is useful (i.e. generating POI files
> for navigation units) then we have to make the as simple as possible.

The vast majority of OSM users never need to know what relations are
at all, but it does not matter, since the tools they use will do the
right thing. We do not need to fill up the database with duplicate
data for no reason.

> The source code is here
>
> http://pedro.poloha.net/osm/czechaddress-sql.zip

All I see in that file is sql statements  for transforming the data
you've collected and managing it. I do not see any code related to how
you will:

1. Merge it with existing OSM data

2. Validate the data you have with ground truth

Those are what I'm most concerned about. Please tell me how your
process will handle this validation step.

- Serge