[Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Mon Jan 13 13:07:09 UTC 2014

Saikrishna,

I recommend that you do not convert the postal Community field in the
source data into the City in OSM.  Although the USPS uses the terms
City State ZIP for the contents of the last line of an address, their
use actually aligns with the preferred name (often a city) associated
with a ZIP code.  The USPS instructs large volume mailers to validate
using the USPS City State File.
(http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub28/28c2_001.htm#ep526236)

In Fulton County, Georgia some portions of the city of Hapeville use
Atlanta as the postal community, portions of the city Sandy Springs
used to use Dunwoody as the postal community, portions of the city of
Chatthochee Hills use Palmetto as the postal community,  Georgia Tech
used to use "Georgia Tech Station" as the preferred community (but now
uses Atlanta)  ........
In Fulton County (and much of the US) every ZIP code has only one
preferred postal community name.
ZIP codes may have other non-preferred but valid community names.

This post community name data is not currently in OSM.

At the time of production, the Fulton County source data was validated
to have the correct postal community name (for postal addresses).

The current correct postal community names can be computed using USPS
licensed data products.
Based on my personal experience, a reasonable proxy would be to check
the ZIP code against the 2013 Census TIGER ZCTA5 product (augmented by
ZIPL and ZIPR fields from the 2013 Census TIGER Edges file).  If the
ZIP codes match, you can fairly safely use the daccess community name.

C.