[Imports] Proposal:Uganda Import

f.dos.santos at free.fr f.dos.santos at free.fr
Sat Jan 25 15:36:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have done some work to prepare an import (not discussed yet on this list as it's still a work on progress) of portuguese administrative area.
I tested my code on the Uganda shapefile and, after correcting some issues, I've a result (far from perfect as the source is far from perfect) that can be useful.

The OSM file is here [1] and the (experimental) python code is [2].

The code have been adapted to the uganda shapefile, and does the following :
- build boundary relation for each admin area
- build hierarchy of admin area from the lower admin area (district) build the upper (subregion) : DEACTIVATED as it's not working well for this shapefile
- capitalize names and convert from ISO to UTF8
- construct unique way, simplify it and deal with the 2000 nodes limit
- detect and try to resolve self intersecting way
- detect enclave and exclave and give them the proper outer/inner role (for Uganda there is no inner ring)
- save the result on a local postgres+postgis database

The OSM file still contains "issues" so it can not be used as is, but can probably be edited and fixed manually :
- merging the suboptimal ways (two identical ways but not sharing exactly the same nodes coordinates).
- adjusting the admin_level

There is still one big issue in this OSM file : I removed 1 district because of a loop in the shapefile (and my code goes into an infinite loop).

I hope it can help.

Francisco.

[1] dl.free.fr/mpSmh2T9m
[2] https://github.com/FranciscoDS/uganda_osm.git