[Imports] Dutch addresses and buildings import - how to deal with addresses in apartments

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:39:32 UTC 2014

Good point that there should be ease-of-use in handling data after an
import. That has for example been the main reason that the Dutch community
is against the use of the associatedStreet relation.

In practice address tagging can be complicated. A few years ago I used
interpolation in the city centre of Delft. Looking at the map later, I
noticed that several users just ignored this and put POI's inlcuding
address info right next to the interpolated line. Of course a bit dumb of
them, since they should have put the POI's on the interpolated line.

Back to the topic. Based on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses for
Nodes at same position the following seven solutions are possible.

1. Create an address node for each housenumber and place each node
somewhere on the building outline (or inside the building).

2. If house numbers are associated with individual entrances, tag those
numbers to entrance <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:entrance>=* (old
version - building <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>=
entrance <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dentrance>)
nodes.

3. Separate the numbers by commas (e.g., "11,13,15").

4. Separate the numbers by semicolons (e.g., "11;13;15"), as the semicolon
is the standard value separator in OSM.

5. Specify the range (e.g., "10-95"). This is the preferred method when
such a range is officially used for the entire house. You may also use
addr:interpolation<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr:interpolation>
=* to describe whether that includes odd, even or all numbers.

6. Create separate connected polygons for buildings with different
addresses. You may do this even if they share walls, but splitting a corner
house diagonally is not widely accepted.

7. See Proposed_Features/Multiple_addresses<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Multiple_addresses>
for
a more general approach (proposal).

What is easiest for users when there's lot's of addresses inside one
building?

Solution 1 will work. We could use the space within the building outline to
separate the address nodes and prevent the Nodes at same position error

Solution 2 is no solution for Nodes at same position (it only says
something about the location inside the building)

Solution 3 and 4 can work, but will in some cases give an entry like this:
100;100A-A;100A-B;100A-C;100B-A;100B-B;100B-C;100B-D;100C-A;
100C-B;100C-C;100C-D;100C-E;100C-G;100C-H;100D-A;100D-B;
100D-C;100D-D;100D-E;100D-G;100D-H;100D-J;100D-K;100D-L;
100D-M;100D-N;100D-P;100D-R;100D-S;100E-A;100E-B;100E-C;
100E-D;100E-E;100E-G;100E-H;100G-A;100G-B. That is difficult to edit.

Solution 5 should not be used in imports. If somebody wants to add a POI on
address number 30, (s)he should split the address range in 10-28 (or 29?),
30 and 31 (32) to 95. In at least two seperate nodes. That is difficult to
edit.

I don't quite understand solution 6, but I think it does not work for lots
of addresses like my Vermeertoren example.

Solution 7 can work quite well.

Best solutions from this analysis: 1 and 7.

Please help out and share your thoughts on this.

Cheers, Johan

2014-01-29 Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com>