[Imports] [Talk-ca] Updating Street Centerlines in County of Grey, Ontario, Canada

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jul 8 13:29:15 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Shah,Soham <Soham.Shah at grey.ca> wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> The GIS department at the County of Grey, Ontario was interested in
> updating the street centerline data with our Grey County Road Data, which
> we believe is more precise, both in terms of centerline placement and road
> labelling.
>

> I was thinking of using the JOSM Editor utility to bulk import the data. I
> read on the ‘Import process guidelines’ wiki that street centerlines can be
> very difficult to import. So, I am looking for some guidance and opinions
> of the OSM community to know if this is a viable import project.

Hi Soham,

Great to have you on this list and interested in OpenStreetMap. Fortunately
there is a large and active OpenStreetMap community in Ontario.  Come and
join us at one of our events[1], and you'll be able to get a detailed
introduction to both OpenStreetMap and our community.

The short, and seemingly discouraging, answer is, "Don't bulk update
anything in the OpenStreetMap database."

While seemingly discouraging, that message is important, and is the product
of many years of active improvement of OpenStreetMap data.  You can get a
more detailed response at an event.

We really don't want to discourage you if you thought that "just uploading
it to OpenStreetMap" would be a quick and easy way to open your data and to
improve a great open data.  Those goals are admirable and are to be
encouraged.

As Daniel said earlier, an even easier way to get those same benefits is to
publish your data with an open license.  Once you do that, OpenStreetMap
_and any other open data consumer_ can then benefit from your publication
of open data.

When you publish open data, publish that data under the Open Data Commons
Public Domain Dedication and License[2].  It is the only right answer.
Again, long answer and fascinating discussion available at our events.

And thanks again for your interest in OpenStreetMap.  use

Best regards,

Richard

[1] http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/
[2] http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/