[Imports] [HOT] eHealth Africa Kano places import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:03:59 UTC 2014

About the GNS names that are very different, it can be really like you
say, and refer to a ward. Even sometimes, they are the name of a place
that is divided in two, with the two names being the neighbourhood
names and the GNS the name of the place, but that's not very usual I
think.

I also hesitate to delete some GNS nodes. GNS data should be used as a
complementary data set (similarly, we used the NGA data for the
Centrafrique UNICEF data import, for example), because it lacks enough
quality to be imported directly to OSM. In fact, if I remember well,
there was a thread in the imports list not long ago about the
possibility of reverting GNS imports altogether.

In other words: the best scenario would be having the Nigeria map
without the GNS nodes, and make the import of eHealth data having the
GNS data as a layer, adding "GNS" to the source tags as needed, as we
did with the NGA data in the UNICEF import in CAR (see this node as an
example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2663456730 ).

But what's for sure, most of GNS nodes aren't well geolocated, and due
to the density of villages in this area, it's normally difficult to
know to which willage they belong to.

We could use what we have from the RuralVillages data as a
not-to-be-imported layer in JOSM, so we could safely delete more of
the GNS nodes (most of all probably), but I don't think we loose much
if we wait for that second import, and we even gain as the eHealth
database will be growing in the mean time. And having the
RuralVillages nodes in JOSM is a temptation, at least for me ;)

But I don't have the last word in any case. What do you think?

Cheers,

Rafael.