[Imports] [HOT] eHealth Africa Kano places import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:43:16 UTC 2014

Hi, Paul:

Sorry for answering this last email but I missed it.

As I understand, what the capital=* tag adds is the importance of the
place. For example, if a place is the seat of a ward (admin_level=8)
and also the capital of an LGA (admin_level=6), tagging it as
capital=6 you set clear the importance of the place. I know that this
can be extracted from all the boundaries relations, but I wonder if
renderers are doing that, or relaying on this capital=* tag. I really
don't know.

In any case, I was thinking more about this and perhaps the best idea
(as you also mention) is that, when the import of places for a state
is finished (now Kano state), one of us can go through all the LGA's
(they are just 44 for Kano state) and put the capitals as admin_centre
of their respective boundary relations. It would be a quite easy and
small job.

About the wards, each LGA has between 10 and 15 wards. For Kano state
we have 484 wards. This is a bigger job. But surely there will be some
ward seats that will be missing for the time being. We could do the
ones we have for now, and leave the rest for later.

My opinion now would be not to include this in the places import wiki,
so we don't complicate it too much. We can (and I will do) go on
adding the admin_centre's for LGA's and wards, and later on, we can
complete the missing ones out of the import job. The mirrored download
JOSM plugin [1] + the JOSM filters will do it very smartly.

As for the Rural villages set of data, bear in mind that eHealth is,
and will be for long, in the process of collecting data in the field,
and this includes villages and hamlet names in 10 states of North
Nigeria. As of mid May, the RuralVillages.shp file had 1,162 place
names only for Kano state. There are other files with names for hamlet
areas and also isolated hamlets. I've been very lucky to have the
opportunity to see how this data is collected in the field, and I can
assure you that is a really tough job, and certainly with the risks
due to the insecurity of the area.

There are two key point here:

1) In the coming months (and probably years), thousands of new place
names (and other geodata) will be continuing to be collected and added
to the eHealth database. For that reason, it's important to make sure
the quality of the data is good enough before we import it to the OSM
database, so merging new collected data to the existing OSM database
in the future will be as easy as possible. As an example, the last few
weeks 1,087 health facilities in Kano State were imported to OSM, and
only days later eHealth staff sent me a new .csv with 186 new health
facilities for that state!

2) Having the data ready for import is not the only thing we need; we
also have to actually import it to OSM. My advice is to see how well
and how fast we import this set of place names that we are now
importing, before we think on the next import job, so we can keep the
whole process as more comprehensive as possible.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/mirrored_download