[Imports] Handling of existing buildings in NYC import (was Re: Buildings & Address in Washington, DC, USA.)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jun 20 23:27:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's difficult to go back and look at the deleted buildings and say which
>> were better, but I don't think any were kept as far as i can tell
>

> Katie -
>
> It took us a sec but we did an analysis of any subsequent modifications to
> your work in NYC, please take a look:
> https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/issues/132
>
> I want to make sure we do the best quality work possible with the NYC
> building and address work.
>
> Thank you for your time on this -

Did you have more to add to this email, Alex, because it looks like it
got cut off?

Katie asked about her contributions in New York City that appeared to
be deleted during your import.  You replied, "Thanks for your time on
this -"

That seems non-responsive at best.

The link to github that you included adds your confession that you
simply replaced surveyed buildings with imported buildings because it
was simpler for you.

You then linked further afield to a slippy map that appears to show
that you, in fact, deleted ~95% of the buildings Katie added to New
York City?  I'm guessing at the percentage because you didn't include
a summary.

I can see why Katie said that she found it discouraging and demotivating.