[Imports] CLC meadow cleanup

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:26:13 UTC 2014

> Nothing about what I've mentioned is specific to France, nor did I say it
> was.

You mentionned France first. And actually it's the largest country
where CLC have been imported. Altrough the CLC program is european,
it's done by many different operators in a long run. The quality
varies from region to region.

> - Meadows are particularly bad. When cleaning them up, I've found them
>   unsalvageable, with deleting them the best course of action.
> - The meadows are often giant messy multipolygons which are near-impossible
>   to edit
> - Different features have different issues, and I think it's best to start
>   somewhere, and this is one that's particularly bad.

Each time someone reports a problem with a giant polygon in my
country, we try to solve it locally. CLC landuses are by far not
perfect but like other similar countries with a low density of
population, it's better than nothing, especially for landuse polygons
which is one of the most painful, unpopular and unrewarding task in
OSM (outside urbanized areas).
Next time you meet such bad CLC landuse polygon in France, I would
suggest that you send a message to talk-fr@ (even in English) to get
some support. I'm upset when I see armchair mappers suggesting to
massively remove foreing data without any discussion with the local
community. What is questionable is not the criticism but this approach
of thinking that the local community cannot decide by itself if
something is wrong and need some rework.

Pieren