[Imports] cleanup broken import "fix"

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu May 29 09:40:47 UTC 2014

Christoph Hormann wrote:
> One thing that bothers me about this is that with the new tagging
> scheme for rivers (natural=water + water=river) there is no
> distinction between flowing and standing bodies of water unless there
> is a water=* tag and here this information - while being included in
> the original import - gets lost with the removal of that tag.

What was in the original import can be seen in:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/73966050/history

There's "gnis:ftype LakePond" but no "water=*".  As regards the "new
scheme" anyone processing water data is going to have to cope with
existing data containing "natural=water" and "waterway=*" anyway, so
this proposed change (removing the "Lake;Pond" tags) doesn't introduce a
new problem.

Let's not forget - it's an import - no-one has actually surveyed these
water bodies so we don't know whether a particular one is a best
described as a "lake" or a "pond" (that's assuming there's nothing that
can be read from "gnis:fcode" of course, and even if it could, that's
still an antique survey presumably about as relevant as the TIGER data).

Cheers,

Andy