[Imports] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:03:50 UTC 2014

Random points in no particular order...

One thing that might be helpful for querying the data and perfecting the
name conversion (expanding abbreviated street names can be tricky) is using
PostGIS + QGIS in your workflow for validation.

Having all your address data loaded into Postgres allows the use of SQL to
query/manipulate the data and QGIS to check the GIS side of things.

Look at the process on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MGC

I'm not suggesting you change your process if it's working for you,
though.  But, working in a SQL database has it's advantages (rollback,
repeatable transform from source table to destination, able to query the
whole data set at once for arbitrary conditions, etc).

Also, check your address assignment and make sure you're not assigning
duplicate address nodes to buildings on the same lot (separate garages, out
buildings, sheds, etc.).

Looking at your street expansion code, it doesn't take into account that
French-like street names have the type at the beginning, not the end (i.e.
Rue Jessan, not Jessan Rue).  Also, it doesn't look like it handles
expanding "St" in the street name to Saint.

I agree with Jason's comments on the ID, though.  Post-import, it's pretty
useless.  I think the idea is that it would be useful several years down
the road when a new data dump is taking from an upstream source to match
changed buildings, but there's no guarantee that the ID's from the external
source would even be consistent (i.e. the building on the corner of
Dauphine and Contie with ID=1234 may not have the same ID 2 years from now
after the upstream system goes through upgrades, software changes, etc.)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Matt Toups <mtoups at cs.uno.edu> wrote:

> Greetings. I've been preparing an import for my hometown of New Orleans,
> Louisiana, USA.
>
> Here are links of interest:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Orleans,_
> Louisiana/Building_Outlines_Import
> https://github.com/mtoupsUNO/nola-buildings
>
> A few quick notes:
>
> * The data is from our city government and is licensed as CC0.
> * I hope the wiki (linked above) will address questions about the tagging
> scheme, conflation method, and process.
> * The import is a team effort comprised of both experienced mappers and
> relatively new, local users.
>
> I have been editing OSM for this area for over 6 years and I am committed
> to making this import a local community-led effort. I've been reaching out
> to local mappers for help, and already this process has led to more
> engagement and cooperation. I believe the import work is actually helping
> to strengthen our map community.
>
> Your feedback is welcome. In particular, I'm looking for good
> documentation to give to our less-experienced mappers on how to participate.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt Toups
> New Orleans

Eric Ladner