[Imports] Baltimore County Maryland Hydrology Import

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:02:30 UTC 2014

Christoph,

Thank you for the analysis! I have put this one on hold after reviewing
your comments. I need to revisit the tagging and the automation before
proceeding further.

- polygon issue: There is a separate dataset for polygons that I will use
going forward. I'll ditch all the polygon type data from the "line" layer.
- tunnels: in the data, water in culverts do not have a specified type, so
these require manual QC before importing
- names: yes, clearly there are quite a few empty names. The JOSM validator
does take care of them though.
- artificial: The data does not differentiate between small streams,
drains, and other manmade features, so I had been calling them all stream,
and then going back and changing the small ones to =drain
- basin: This is probably a poor tag choice. The data lists these as
stormwater management ponds though, so they could be dry or wet, and basin
is the tag on the wiki. I've been manually changing the wet ones to pond
when applicable. This will require more looking at.

Kindly,

Elliott

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
wrote:

> On Friday 05 September 2014, Elliott Plack wrote:
> > 3. Here is the
> > resulting OSM file of that translation:
> >    http://1drv.ms/1lLHSIm
>
> This seems to be fairly incomplete/unfinished.  A few observations:
>
> - no correct polygons for the water surfaces consisting of more than one
> way, tag natural=water on unclosed ways.
> - tunnel sections of waterways have no waterway tag
> - lots of empty name tags but only few actual waterway names.
> - waterways mostly end at the water area edge and are not connected to
> the destination waterway.
> - there are quite a few clearly artificial waterways tagged
> waterway=stream.
> - use of landuse=basin seems strange - is apparently used for both areas
> with permanent and sporadic water cover.
>
> > Questions:
> >
> > We have data on where the coastline is comprised of bulkhead, like
> > where the coastline is unnatural. Is that relevant to the project? I
> > haven't seen a bulkhead type tag but it could be considered a
> > seawall.
>
> There are no established supplementary tags to characterize the
> coastline itself - an artificial coastline often means there is some
> feature on the coast that should be mapped like man_made=dyke or
> man_made=breakwater and then there is no need to tag the line in
> addition.  For a bulkhead on its own barrier=retaining_wall would seem
> the most fitting established tag but barrier=bulkhead would actually
> seem quite appropriate.
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann
> http://www.imagico.de/