[Imports] Importing Indianapolis data

EthnicFood IsGreat ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:39:43 UTC 2015

Thanks to everyone who responded with all the suggestions on importing the
Indianapolis GIS data.  I will check out the links that some of you
provided.

What I am talking about are mass uploads.  I was initially planning to
import building footprints.  I already manually imported a few to see what
the results would look like, using JOSM and the OpenData plugin.  You can
see them here:  http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/39.78975/-86.09067.
As far as I can tell, I translated all the address information from the
shapefile attributes to the appropriate OSM tags.  All the buildings I want
to import from our data have addresses attached (street name, number,
zipcode, etc.)  We have many more buildings mapped that do not have
addresses on them (e.g. detached garages, sheds, outbuildings) which could
also be imported (I included four of them in my test import), but I figured
the addressed buildings are much more important for now.

I had looked at Paul Norman's ogr2ogr tool, and it sounds great, but I do
not know Python and have never used it.  Neither have I used ArcGIS
ModelBuilder or QGIS.  I was hoping not to have to learn any new software
in order to do the import, so that's why I was initially interested in
shp2osm.  But it sounds like ogr2ogr is the way to go, so if someone could
walk me through how to use it, along with the custom translations, that
would be great.  (I already have Python installed.)  Years ago I did some
coding, but not in any of the newer languages.

Paul, can you expand on getting local support?  It seems to me that adding
buildings in a major city that has almost none is a no-brainer.

Mark Bradley