[Imports] Proposed import removal: nuclear explosion sites

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:56:59 UTC 2015

> Am 14.04.2015 um 14:11 schrieb Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
>
> I'm cleaning Lummerland in the middle of the ocean even though it's
> neither disturbing nor confusing other mappers ;)

yes, but that's a completely different case, because it is fictional while these sites are real

> I see the need to clean this up because it is hard to explain to people,
> in other situations, that we're mainly about surveying and everyone
> improving on the work of the others when at the same time we have
> thousands of un-surveyable and un-verifiable sites in the database.

I bet these sites are surveyable with the right equipment, and they are verifiable with other sources

> (Sites that will, unless they're mapped erroneously, *never* *ever*
> change, because by definition these nodes refer to something that has
> happened in the past which cannot be changed by anything that happens in
> the future - unlike a house that can be torn down, or a boundary that
> can be changed.)

mountain peaks also hardly ever change within the dimensions of time we are looking at it, but I haven't heard a call yet to delete them.

I agree that this tag is on the borderline, but I plea to keep it for the reasons I mentioned before, I think they are an interesting piece in the map that is a significant part in the whole picture

cheers
Martin