[Imports] Import of water wells in South Sudan

jotam at posteo.de jotam at posteo.de
Mon Aug 17 07:13:33 UTC 2015

Hi there,

changeset 33313799 (http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/33313799) is an import of some
hundred (around 400) water wells / boreholes in South Sudan.

These boreholes have been drilled by the South Sudanese charity "Water is Basic". I
personally know the founder of this NGO. I had approached him with the suggestion and he was
thrilled by the idea. He has given me written permission (email) to use the data and import
it into OSM.

The data itself stems from the charity's own database. They manually record the
GPS-coordinates of every borehole they drill.

All imported nodes are tagged with:

man_made=water_well
pump=manual
operator=Water is Basic

Especially in the light of the currently ongoing civil war, I hope that relief work in South
Sudan might benefit from this information.

Thanks guys,
Jotam