[Imports] Import of coastlines for Greenland

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Tue Jul 28 17:40:15 UTC 2015

On 28/07/15 17:36, Karl Zinglersen wrote:

[...]

> The coast line is basically a smoothened raster to vector conversion
> in GDAL using a land/sea mask from a US research project named GIMP -
> Greenland Ice Mapping Project - led by Dr. Ian Howat from Byrd Polar
> Research Center at Ohio State University. The original land/sea mask
> raster is prepared from primarily Landsat7 ETM+ and Radarsat
> classifications. The land/sea mask is provided from
> http://bpcrc.osu.edu/gdg/data/icemask and can be used for any academic
> purpose, including OSM as long as they are cited when used.
>
> Citation from the principal investigator:

The academic restriction means this data seems to me to not be able to
be used in OSM. OSM data can be used for any purpose, not just academic
and OSM is certainly not an academic project. I believe you would need a
much more permissive licence before you can import the coastlines into OSM.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly